Monday, April 29, 2013

Career comments

Please reflect here about something having to do with our career unit.

Perhaps something you learned and were surprised at, something that changed your thinking, something that was very interesting.

Post a couple of sentences here.  Then put your first name and last initial.

56 comments:

  1. Devin W.
    I was surprised at how many job possibilities there are for someone like me. While I am not the best academic student, what I have learned is that street smarts are important in the job field. I was interested by the many career fields that I have never even considered. Now I know that thre are many possibile caeers out there for me, which is exciting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the aspects about my career that I found interesting was the work environment. The person I interviewed told me how your work environment can range from the Madison Square Garden to the United Center. Just a perk that I found to be interesting and unique about broadcasting.
    Cody B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt Needham
    I learned that school grades and college are very important in getting a job but it is not the be-all end-all. Job experience and personality can take you very far in the job world, as long as you can back it up with performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. M-E Carlson
    I was surprised about how much the housing situation has changed over time. We've had our ups and our downs, but it all has to do with how the economy is doing. it went from slow and steady around 1929, to really bad housing situations from 1930 to 1939 because of the great depression. Then went back to slow and steady again and then we were doing really well in 2000 to 2005 because people got jobs and were able to buy homes in growing places. Unfortunately, again in 2006 to about 2011 it the housing situation got bad again but now in 1013 it's slowly getting better. I hope by the time I need to go buy a house, the housing situation will be great again like in 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natasha Siddiki
    I learned that in order to be effective in your job, you have to stand out and do something that others can't. You're only valuable if you're accomplishing more than someone else would be able to in the same position. In addition, experience really contributes to your knowledge of your field and every job or internship can really help expand your abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned a lot about the profession that I am debating going into. Becoming a physician would be very cool and I learned that it is a challenge to get there but once you accomplish all of the schooling you are set and happy. The stress level is usually high in Hospitals but I want to do something where I am not sitting at a desk. Hopefully things will go well and I will not be stuck with a horrible job.
    Stefan J

    ReplyDelete
  7. The career unit was very helpful. I liked being able to see what an interview would actually be like and potential interview questions. I also enjoyed taking the career quiz because it made me consider alternate career options.
    Elise K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned that interviews are very important in order too get a job. Making a good first impression can determine what you get in life. Another thing that I learned is that you need to pick a job that you are happy going to everyday. If going to a job is a chore for you and all you're doing is looking forward to the weekend, then that job is not the right job for you.
    Patrick K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daniel G
    My favorite part of the career unit was doing the resume. I have never done a resume before and it showed me what one looked like and what one was composed of. It showed me the things that employers look for in potential employees which is pretty helpful! I also learned a good amount about the career I want to have when I'm older. It was pretty interesting to see some of the details of the job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found it helpful when I learned how brief resumes had to be. Before I thought we should type paragraphs about yourself.

    -WA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned that an interview can completely change your possibility of getting your dream job. I used think companies prioritize documented performance and ability on a resume over an interview. Potential interview questions will help me in future interviews and make good first impression. It was fun to research about my possible career path in details.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I learned a lot of helpful information about the career that I want to take. This unit helped me learn about my potential career in detail.It also helped me realize how important a job interview is in order to get hired.
    Noelle Manlangit

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found through interviewing my aunt that I am heading into a career that will have many rewards. The career project made me think more about where I would be applying to. I really enjoyed learning more about Nursing and the websites we used to find information, I can use in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was interesting to me that there were jobs I never knew existed that seemed to actually be a pretty good fit for me. I had never considered certain careers, but after researching a bit, I will definitely consider them, and even pursue further research

    Sam R.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learned a lot about my potential future job, as well as how important it is to do an interview. It still scares me, but I am a little bit more comfortable with interviews and the questions they will ask.
    Rachel B

    ReplyDelete
  16. I learned that school grades and college are very important in getting a job but it is not the end of the world if you didn't do so great. Job experience and personality can take you very far in the job world, as long as you can back it up with performance.

    Tommy S

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought the career unit was very helpful. I learned a lot about my potential future career. It made me aware of what to expect and how to go about achieving my goal. I thought it was really great that you taught us all of the little parts that go into this process, such as the cover letter and thank you letter. I feel like I could really use this information in the future.
    Jannie B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I learned that grades are not the most important thing in getting a job, if you have the right work ethic and drive to succeed at what you love, then there is nothing holding you back.

    -Paul G

    ReplyDelete
  19. A career in education is something that I was interested in for a long time, but it was nice to have the chance to dig deeper into the details of this career. I learned that there are differences between teaching at a public and private school. I had never really thought about private schools because I never attended one, but I learned that both have pros and cons.
    Ashley H.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was really interested in all of the different jobs offered in the field I am looking at going into. Also, I learned that these jobs take a lot of on-the-job training that is developed over years of working with experts in the field. I also learned that doing what you like the most in the end is the most important thing that you can do. That way, you can be happy with what you are doing and enjoy your job.

    -Todd B.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The career project helped me to determine what jobs would be best for me. As someone who is still unsure of what they are going to pursue as a career, I now know what to look for when I look for a job later.

    Sara A.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I learned that the more experience and jobs you have can play a large role in your final career and finding one you enjoy doing. Secondly, this unit helped me to learn more about the career I am going to strive for and the steps I should take to achieve that career.

    Patrick M

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am very interested in the outdoors. When I went into this unit, I thought that there were only a couple of different careers to do, but now I know there are more. Now I have something to research and find my own path.

    -Marko A.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoyed the Career Cruising assignment. It was cool to see how many careers matched my interest. Also, the career project was a great way to be prepared for the real world!

    Jessie F.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This project was a great opportunity for me to explore my potential future job. Also, I was scared about having to do the interviews sometime in the future, but this project elevated some of that burden.

    Ye Jin Lim

    ReplyDelete
  26. I thought that resumes were a big part for getting a job. I didn't know that interviews were a big part in getting a job. I also learned that experience is also a big part in getting a job and making you stand out from everyone else.

    -Robby Soler

    ReplyDelete
  27. I learned that being well prepared for an interview is very important. If you know what you plan to say and act professional it may just get you that job. I also learned how to successfully put together a resume and thank you letter to impress the people in charge of possibly hiring you.

    -Brian Eirinberg

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoyed taking the Career Quiz becuase it showed me what types of jobs I would enjoy based on my interests. Also, the mock interview was a good way to give real examples of what to do and what not to do during an interview. A lot of us have done college interviews, but it was helpful to see the types of interviews that we will have to do in the years to come.

    Alec Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  29. I learned the importance of developing and maintaining a good relationship with your boss. You must prove your self a capable and hard worker to your employer as they will be used for references for future jobs, so you must be on good terms even after leaving your job. Also, some jobs are given solely based on references, like in the sports marketing field. Therefore, it is imperative to prove to your boss that you are a good worker.
    -Danny Doherty

    ReplyDelete
  30. During the career unit I learned alot about the interview process. I have been lucky to obtain all of my jobs with out having to interview because I already knew someone there. I am glad that now I know some skills and when I go to an interview it won't be completely new to me.
    Ellee C.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Career Project was very helpful. I got to research and really go into depth about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. You had us look at all the aspects of our career and also interview someone who was currently in that career. I learned a lot.

    Rena G

    ReplyDelete
  32. I thought it was pretty intresting at times, the project let me look more closely at the career i have thought about.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I learned a lot about having good interview skills and I had not considered many questions that will be asked during the course of any professional interview. The career project was also very interesting because it provided me with insight into many different career choices that could be options for me in the future!

    Maddie Quayle

    ReplyDelete
  34. I liked the job interview unit because I found it very helpful to learn about interviewing skills. These skills are really good to have for future job opportunities and undoubtedly will be applied in a real life situation.

    James K

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Career Project was very helpful in learning more about potential jobs. It was enjoyable and helped me a lot. I also now have a formal resume which is very awesome.

    Aaron Rabishaw

    ReplyDelete
  36. The Career unit was helpful to show me what I have steps I need to take in order to pursue my desired career. I was surprised with how many steps were involved and how qualified I would have to be. I enjoyed researching about the career because I was able to find tips that I wouldn't have foudnd had I not taken the time to do research. I also enjoyed the interviews because we were able to see what it's like.

    Emily C.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It was cool. I learned a lot about the field that I want to go into, and got some good pointers as well.

    -Yours truly, the one and only Nick Langlois

    ReplyDelete
  38. The Career Unit was really helpful, it helped me understand all areas needed in getting a job. The Career Project helped me broaden my knowledge for the job I hope to get. It was interesting actually interviewing someone who's doing what I hope to do out of college. Very helpful.

    Maria N

    ReplyDelete
  39. It was fun to do the resume part since I have never seen or made one. I also realized how important a Thank You note is and I liked how we interviewed a person in that career.

    Danielle D.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I thought the career unit was interesting. I thought it was helpful to learn before going to college. I figured out what steps I need to take to get a good job and that connections are very important in any job.

    Katie H

    ReplyDelete
  41. I learned that networking and building relationships with the right people can be just as important in landing a good job as grades and qualifications.

    Cameron F.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I learned a lot more about the career I wanted to go in to. Taking that quiz was a lot of fun because it kinda led me to be more specific upon the field I already wanted to enter in. I knew I wanted to go into health and fitness, but the more research I did the more specific I got into what I wanted to do. Learning not only was I interested in Personal Training, but also nutrition as well. Leading me to want to study to be a nutritionist.

    Jose D

    ReplyDelete
  43. Allen G
    I have learned that one does not simply choose his career, we need to learn what we are pationate about and motivate ourselves to be good at that career. Picking a career that is boring and mismatches ones personality will lead to frustrations in life no matter what kind of paycheck you're getting. To summerize, it is best to pick the career you are most pationate about and know you will like no matter how it is ranked in the world of employment.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Andrew McAuliffe
    Interviewing someone was very insightful. I learned much about the work force. It was also beneficial to make a formal resume.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Tommy Tang

    I learned that interviews make a big deal about whether or not you will get the job. Most interviewers remember the first impression. the quiz was also really helpful. It further confirmed what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  46. What really helped me was the mock interviews we did in class. It helped me learn what proper questions to ask my interviewer and what some of the things are that they expect out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I found the career unit to be very interest, I found it felt more applicable to my current life than lessons such as buying a car, or doing taxes. I thought we learned some great tips in areas such as interviewing and resumes that will definitely be useful in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I learned a lot through the career unit-- honestly, there's a lot more work than I thought to even get an interview. With all my volunteering jobs, I simply went in and talked to a coordinator, however, for the future I need to know how to make a cover letter, resume, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I think the most interesting thing about the career unit was the different techniques people used to get noticed. While creative, I'm fairly skeptical of some of the more outrageous ideas that people have done. I still am not certain where the line between annoying and persistent is. I just feel like doing stuff like that ruins your credibility, as if you're making a joke out of the situation or something.

    Ali F.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I learned allot about something im very interested in. I know a little bit more about physical education and exercise science. I hope one day i can help others learn about their bodys and improving them. I liked the career unit lots because it really opened my eyes in more than one sense.

    Chris Devito

    ReplyDelete
  51. I learned alot about the career I plan to go into after college, because I wasn't fully aware of everything that it entailed before now.

    Alex Henry

    ReplyDelete
  52. i was astonished at the accuracy of the carrer cruising system
    Ryan Bloom

    ReplyDelete
  53. I really enjoyed learning more about myself and my potential career. I thought it gave me a lot of insite about preparing myself for the future.
    Mary Demos

    ReplyDelete
  54. I really liked the career unit because I was able to connect to it and learn about where my interests lie. I also thought it was fun to learn about interviewing and about careers in general.

    Anam Chhatriwala

    ReplyDelete
  55. I enjoyed gaining information on the major i chose. I learned a lot during my interview.
    B. Wildman

    ReplyDelete